May 3, 2006

Blogs & Work

Part of the reason it took me so long to take the plunge into blogging is that I have been trying to figure out a way to use it at MPOW. I like to think I'm a creative thinker when it comes to applying new ways to do things but maybe I'm more restrained by a box than I realized, because I just haven't been able to do it.

I maintain not just our own web site and related databases etc, but also run the websites and manage the webteam for our parent organization, the National Solar Observatory - maybe a webmaster's blog where we could post what we've done to what pages? But I don't know what interest that would have; the GONG webmaster isn't all that interested in what the SOLIS webmaster did to their pages.

I could set one up for ATST itself, and put not only what changes I made to the web site but what new papers are being published, etc - but knowing my team the way I do, sending them announcement emails works much better than asking them to regularly visit a site. I don't know much yet about how to push content out; maybe I could push something to their desktops instead? More research to do.... how to wave new things in front of their faces while requiring the least amount of effort on their part.

I know a lot of other libraries are having great success with their blogs, but from what I read they are all public or academic libraries. Any special libraries out there who are tackling this question? What was your solution?

tags: , , ,

No comments: