June 9, 2006

Catching Up

Finally, I can get back into Blogger!

Some random things that have crossed my mind this week:

* Digital archiving. It's all "woo hoo" but what about preservation issues? Paper, properly cared for, lasts for centuries. I have files from within my current career, a short 15 years ago, that can't be accessed; the software to do it is no longer around. How are we all going to handle this? The History News Network has an article out about fragile digital data that's worth a read.

* SLA. Getting ready to leave for it; it's gonna be a good one! I have so many conflicting sessions, I don't know what I'm going to do - but whether I attend "New Web Tools" or "Accessibility and Universal Design" I'm bound to learn something new. Yay! Watch this space and the PAMblog for new entries; there's no access from the convention center (boo hoo) but there's free WiFi at my hotel (yay!).

* LISA V. My poster is done, and off to the reviewers. (I hope they like it, it's too late to change it now!) Am really looking forward to seeing what other librarians are doing with their information services and systems.

* Frappr. I set up a FrapprMap for my high school alumni site (which I run); what a nifty way to show where we all ended up! In the first three days after posting a link to it on the site, there were 18 new flags on it; I can't wait to see how it spreads!

* Wikis. Our software group is using TWiki for internal documentation needs. I keep trying to figure out what I can do with it.... I'm sure something will come to me sooner or later!

Currently 100° and muggy!

No comments: