February 1, 2007

Molly Ivins, RIP

Damn.

The first email I saw this morning when I opened my mailbox was a notice that one of the women I admire the most, who I have read regularly for years and bought all her books and saw her speak whenever possible (including the very memorable SLA keynote in San Antonio), has passed away. Molly Ivins, political columnist and activist and liberal and supporter of women's rights, lost her battle with cancer on Tuesday, January 30th. Her syndicate has posted a tribute by her editor at creators.com, where you can also read a slew of Molly's past columns. You can read other articles about Molly, her passing, and her writings here.

Molly, we will miss you dearly. I hope the margaritas at the party you're at now with Ann Richards and other friends you're seeing again are fabulous!

2 comments:

Jill Hurst-Wahl said...

I just saw you post and had not realized that she had died. I remember when she spoke at SLA. Was that San Antonio?

So this week we focused on a female astronaut and a female celebrity, but a person whose life should have been in the news was Molly's.

Ruth said...

Yeah, that was San Antonio... she was awesome!

Just goes to show the focus of the common denominator, IMHO. Molly should have gotten much more public celebration of her life than she got.