July 7, 2006

Catching Up, Part 1

I've only just caught up with my workload and am now starting to catch up on blogs and journals. So here's a random list of interesting things that I've come across, that either made me think, made me laugh, or both!

* ALA sounded like an interesting meeting. Sometimes I wonder if I should rejoin it, but I get so much more out of SLA...

* I want this job: Technology Innovation Librarian. I love my job but this just sounds TOO cool.

* Ha! You've gotta read the Annoyed Librarian's Library School Coursework post. Now, why didn't I have these classes in grad school?

* Google has joined the Net Neutrality fray. (If you aren't yet aware of the Net Neutrality issue, get aware!) (via ArsTechnica)

* Vista is coming. Now, I rant a lot to my coworkers about Windows and all the problems we have with it, but let's face it, we're a Windows shop. (With, thank the heavens, a solid underpinning of Unix machines for our file servers...!) Are we ready for Vista? (Well, I know one of my guys is; he just got a smashingly fabulous 64-bit Dell that I'm positively slavering over. Yeah, yeah, I don't need 64-bit functionality for what I do, but DANG it's a nice machine.) (via ArsTechnica)

* Warning: Political comment! I wholeheartedly agree with Scott Adams - well said, Scott! No, not about Dilbert; about the whole ruckus over flag-burning. I'm a liberal. I'm also a military brat, and proud of it. I have a very healthy respect for our country, our military, and our servicemen and women who are serving both. However, I can't say the same thing about our government. The flag is a symbol of our country, not our country itself, and dang it, if we're sending folks to die to keep freedom alive, shouldn't we be allowed to practice that same freedom right here at home? (OK, this is a biblioblog, so I'll stop now before the real ranting kicks in.)

* Mmm, a new journal in my field: The Journal of Web Librarianship. (via LibrarianInBlack)

* Wow, another cool new tool! Byoms let you create personalized IM searches; for example, you can IM a question to Wikipedia, and the system will IM an answer back to you. Nifty!
(via LibrarianInBlack)

OK, that's it for this morning. I'll do another catch-up post after this afternoon's readings.

Currently 92° and 34% RH. Just enough to be slightly icky...

No comments: