April 22, 2014

Facebook vs the Blog

You've probably noticed that I've been very, very quiet these last few months here. It's not that I haven't been seeing, reading, and hearing about things impacting librarian image; it's more that I find myself using other social media more to broadcast it, especially the Facebook page for this site.

According to Google, I have 10 subscribers here. Over on Facebook, I have almost 3500. Still small potatoes compared to the giants of the library world, but I never thought I'd be a giant. If I can get just a few people thinking and talking about the issues we deal with all the time, then I've accomplished my goal. But I can reach a lot more people via Facebook now than I ever did with this blog.

Given that - and that I've been writing this blog in one form or another for over a decade - I'm semi-retiring the blog in favor of Facebook. It won't go away completely, but please consider joining the discussions over there instead. Thank you.

You Don't Look Like a Librarian! on Facebook

2 comments:

calimae said...

I wonder how many of your subscribers on Facebook actually see your posts, though. The publisher of a newsletter I get has been observing disturbing things about the (lack of) Facebook reach to people who have liked his page. Anecdotally, I liked the page on Facebook some time ago and I can't recall a single time I've seen a post from it on my newsfeed. At least with a blog and RSS, you know the posts are being distributed to everyone...

Ruth said...

You make a good point, calimae; it's why I'm not completely retiring the blog. My plan is to do a better job this year publishing info in both places, as I know the Facebook feed moves fast, and I also know not everyone is on Facebook. But more discussions are happening there, and I wanted to make it clear that they were happening in addition to what's been put here.

I do appreciate your feedback! Thank you!