July 22, 2010

Effing Does Quiet

So, there's this guy, you know? the.effing.librarian. Irreverent, humorous, librarianish, all that stuff. He's also written a really interesting post on the history of "The Quiet Librarian," where he started out looking for the earliest published reference he could find on the shushing thing, and found a whole treasure-trove of information about the early days of librarianship and the never-ending battle with image. In answer to the questions posed at the end of the post, I agree, it's like a pendulum... but my favorite line is the last one:

"Maybe it keeps us interesting. It keeps everyone guessing about us. If so, that's kinda cool."

Indeed!

1 comment:

the.effing.librarian said...

thanks. (I have such a short attention span that I thought, "when the hell did I write that?" -- that's part of the reason I compile my blog into print volumes, so I can remember this stuff...)